Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Midnight Rescue Mission

This story actually starts about a week ago. My parents have a vegetable garden in our backyard, and the plants were growing well. The squash were particularly promising, with their vibrant color and blossoms. However, one morning about a week ago, my dad came in from checking the garden, and said that the squash plants looked dead. They had suddenly withered. And parts of them looked like they had disintegrated. Funny. My mom wasn't too pleased though.

Anyways, fast forward to last night. The dog had been barking outside for a while, and he didn't want to come in. I was getting ready to put Brandi to bed when my mom told me and my brother to come outside with her. I was worried she was going to show us something bad. Instead, when we went out into the garden, we found a little white rabbit...eating our plants. He was super cute though, so my mom decided not to scare him off, just to board up the hole he got in through in the morning.

However, after some more observation and approach, we discovered he wasn't scared of us at all. He even let us pet him. And when we got that close, we could tell he wasn't a wild rabbit. With that discovery, and the knowledge that a domestic rabbit probably won't live too long in the city, we decided to conduct a midnight rescue mission. My parents dug an old cage out of our garage, and my brother washed it out while I watched the rabbit, my mom ran to wal-mart for rabbit food, bedding, and a water bottle, and my dad went back to bed. After a while, we got the makeshift cage together, and brought the rabbit inside.

Once in, we discovered several things in the light.

First of all, the rabbit was albino, but he was filthy. Also, he had been attacked by something, but got away. It's not bad, but he has some scratches. He is also very much a full grown pet rabbit. There's not a bit of wild in him. So we put him in the cage, where he very quickly got started on the food and water we gave him.


So, we'll do some searching to see if anyone has lost a pet rabbit. And if not, we may have a pet rabbit of our own.

0 comments: