Thursday, June 19, 2008

Finally, a thoughtful post. ish.

I got my computer back today! I was very happy.

Today we woke up, and walked to one of the main roads to get a taxi to Sara's house (we made it, even though we got lost on the way), where we had our intern meeting. We didn't have tutoring because our tutors were busy with a huge mission group (48 people) from Oregon, so instead we went home to eat with Morelia. After that we worked on some more of our bible studies for the kids during cell groups, and then after a while went to the Let's Start Talking party, where I won at Bingo! I got a Milky Way bar as my prize...yum. And on the way home Morelia offered a ride to a friend who lives in our neighborhood, so we fit 8 people in her sedan, the two ladies up front, and the three interns in back each with a child on our laps. That was an interesting ride.

So, now for some interesting aspects of Mexican culture. First, did you know that if you invite someone here, you're offering to pay? If you just want to go as a group, you should suggest, not "invite". It's a tricky line to walk.

Another cultural fact: most people don't put their bags on the floor here, because there's a superstition that your money could fall out.


Also, I've found it interesting that most people in the United States are governed by fear, but not so in Mexico. I know that when driving in the States, I usually follow most of the rules, if for no other reason than that I know there's a good possibility that there might be a cop, and I might get a ticket. Here in Mexico, the general rule is that it's not illegal unless you get caught. While many people follow the same rule in the States, there is much less chance of you getting caught here. And if you do get caught, it's not as intimidating, because you can often bribe the police, and they won't ticket you. So traffic here is much more defensive, and it doesn't have nearly as many rules.

For the third cultural difference today, PDA, or Public Display of Affection. In the States, PDA deserves a nice "get a room!" call. Here, it's everywhere. People just walk down the street or in the mall or anywhere really and are all mushy and VERY affectionate. It's a very different sight to see.

And did you know: there are two different kinds of movie theaters here. There's the normal theater, like ones we have in the States, and then there's a VIP theater, where you pay more, and you can eat sushi.

Task of the future: I need at some point to find someone who with "tutor" (used loosely) me in the States. I really am determined to learn Spanish.


Oh, and also, it's possible that people here drink more Coke than they drink water or perhaps breathe air.

0 comments: