Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oxford, Day 6

Tomorrow a week will have past since I've been here. Only a week and a whole week. I'm starting to get a little homesick, and starting to feel some of the distance between here and what I'm used to. Now at the same time as getting adjusted I have homework to do. I need to make a schedule for myself, so that I know what's going on, and so that I have structure.

Today I had my first C.S. Lewis class and my first Oxford Through the Ages class. Both went over mostly the logistics of the class, and let out early. Tomorrow I don't have any class, and when I set myself a schedule, I hope to be able to do some of my service hours on Wednesdays. Until I figure out how to fit in all of my group classes, my classes on my own, my service hours, my exploration of Oxford, and my travel elsewhere, and my budget, I think I will continue to feel stressed. Or maybe it will just continue anyways.

All of my classes sound good, and I think that I will learn a lot and enjoy them all, but it feels harder to keep up with classes and homework (from the two days I've had to tell) when there's so much interesting history right outside your door.

Today is the first day that I've really been homesick. I've missed home a little bit before, but I think the newness of everything around me kept it away some. Now the work sets in, and I remember what I miss.

Anyways, after class let out early this afternoon, I went downtown to try and get the other books that I needed. I found one, but was completely unsuccessful in finding the other anywhere. On the way home though, I saw some Mormon missionaries on the sidewalk. So Holly and I stopped to talk to them. One was from Norway, the other was from Washington State. I asked them how long they had been on their missions, and they seemed so surprised that I even knew about that. They were even more surprised that I knew about Mormon church and basically the setup of Mormonism. (A lot of that is thanks to Scott.) But I had a nice talk with them, and then continued on my way home.

We tried to go to a pub tonight for dinner, but we didn't want to spend very much money. So we went to one pub at 5:30, but they said they didn't serve dinner until 7. So we walked around, found that by looking in the windows, most pubs don't serve dinner until 7. So then we went to G&D's the ice cream shop that also sells sandwiches, but they were too crowded that we wouldn't have been able to sit down. So we came back to the house for a while, then returned to the first pub at 7. However, it was still deserted when we got there, and we couldn't find any dinner menus. So, we came back to the house and made our own dinner.

0 comments: