Thursday, January 17, 2008

Getting to Oxford.

So today we arrived in Oxford. I am so excited, but it is a change. We took a charter bus from Abilene to DFW, flew 8 hours from DFW to London, and then took a "coach" (a charter bus) from London to Oxford. After moving into the houses, we went on a "short" walk that lasted three hours. Getting groceries is hard, because the grocery store is a good walk away, and all of the groceries have to be carried back. On the way back from the grocery store, I walked past the Eagle and Child (the pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien met with the other inklings), discovering that it's only a few blocks from my house. It's also interesting to realize that I live near so much history. The meadow down the street hasn't had anything built on it since at least the 1000's, and probably longer. People were martyred on these streets. Everything around me has a story. However, I'll have to remember more of the details later. Everything is slightly blurred from jet lag.

0 comments: