Monday, March 3, 2008

This day in Oxford.

This morning I went in to Oxfam again to work the till. There were lots of people using credit cards this morning, which was kinda strange. With mostly a cash economy, it's weird to see people using credit cards. Other than that, it was a slow morning. Not a lot of book donations, and not a lot of sales.

However, there was this older man who came in, and I think that he was lonely. He came up to me, and while I checked on the price of a book for him, told me all about how he was a little boy on D-Day and how that's when he started his coin collections from the extra change of American soldiers. Later he came back to check out, and we had an extended conversation about the United States and how his daughter is at A&M right now but she used to work at the Bodlian, and from there he proceeded to tell me all about the Bodlian library, where he used to work as well. I think that all of his family has moved away, and he seemed to need someone to talk to. He was very sweet, and bought a lot of books.

After Oxfam, I did my grocery shopping, did some homework, went to a meeting with my tutorial group, bought train tickets to the airport for my flight to Ireland, and booked plane tickets to Italy.

And then tonight I went to KEEN, the final Monday night session of the term. Because it was the last night, we had an end of term party. Not just any party though, a James Bond disco party. There were James Bond quizzes, card games, and of course, snacks. There was also music and a disco ball. And lots of dancing.

I spent most of the night with one of the members named Matthew, because his mother though he might be having a bad night. True, he wasn't very social, but he seemed to be okay. He likes to sing along very loudly to the songs that he knows, and not always on key, but he does have enthusiasm.

I did however, get pretend shot tonight more time than I can count after they learned about pirate weapons two weeks ago. Playing dead does get a little old after while.

0 comments: